- Sunshine Coast Community Services – I recently left the board of this not-for-profit society after 4 years of service. This organization offers around 50 community services programs under a variety of themes. These programs are supported by over 100 professional staff and lots of volunteers.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue – I was a crew member for a pair of fast-response search and rescue boats with RCMSAR Station 12 for over 4 years. I was also the Deputy Station Leader, Media Relations Officer, and Emergency Services Liaison (and representative in the Sunshine Coast Emergency Planning Committee).
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards – RYLA is a series of conferences for young people in different age groups (from 15 to 30) to learn about themselves and topics such as leadership, communication, creativity, problem solving, media, ethics, and so on. I contributed to developing and facilitating some of the programs for RYLA District 5040 for around 3 years.
Tsunami Relief Volunteer – Following the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan, I participated in cleanup efforts in two towns devastated by the tsunami. After my return to Canada, I gave some presentations about the disaster and its ongoing effects.
- Canada Alumni Network in Japan – While in Japan, I created a network of alumni from Canadian universities, and represented alumni interests in various capacities.
- IT Systems and Applications – Over the years, I have created and/or supported information systems for a variety of not-for-profit organizations, both in Japan and Canada.
- TEDxTokyo – I was a volunteer for the first three years of this flagship event in Tokyo.
- …and lots more.